no edit summary
'''A timeline history of Spaten:'''
[[File:Gabriel Sedlmayr 001.jpg|300px|thumb|Gabriel Sedlmayr (1772-1839)]]
* 1397: A brewer named Hans Welser of the Welser Prew at 4
Neuhausergasse is recorded in the Munich tax records. Several ownership changes occurred over the following 125 years.* 1522: The Welser brewery is bought by family Starnberger.* 1622: The brewery is taken over by the Spatt family, producing a brew by the Oberspathbräu name, eventually introducing the Spaten brand, referring to spade.* 1704: Family Sießmayr took over the brewery while retaining the Spaten name.* 1807: The Royal Hofbräu brewmaster, Gabriel Sedlmayr acquired the Spaten brewery, which at the time was the smallest brewery in Munich.* 1817: Spaten purchases the Filserbräukeller in Bayerstrasse, which later became known as the Spaten Keller.* 1839: Following the death of Gabriel Sedlmayr, his sons Gabriel and Joseph take over the brewery.
* 1842: Joseph Sedlmayr withdraws his partnership from Spaten Brauerei and buys the Leistbrauerei.
* 1851: Spaten purchases the property
including the Silberbauer Keller in Marsstrasse. Many further acqusitions followed.
* 1854: The move of the entire brewery to Marsstrasse is completed.
* 1861: Joseph Sedlmayr buys the shares of August Deiglmayr, with whom he ran the [[Franziskaner]] Brauerei (Franziskaner Leistbräu) since 1858.
* 1867: Spaten Brauerei becomes the largest brewery in Munich and maintains
its top position until 1890s. Spaten Brauerei receives a golden medal for their German beer at the World Exposition in Paris.
* 1874: Johann, Carl and Anton Sedlmayr take over the brewery from their father Gabriel Sedlmayr.
* 1884: The graphic artist Otto Hubb designs the Spaten logo,
depicting a spade with the initials GS for Gabriel Sedlmayr. The logo is still in use today.
* 1891: Spaten Brauerei founded a branch in London selling the “Spaten Munich Lager” brand.
* 1894: Spaten becomes the first Munich brewery to brew lager in Pilsener style, the “Spaten Münchner Hell”, intended for sale in northern Germany.